I am constantly talking about products to use for twisting (here) and how to get second day hair (here), but I have never really explained how important is is to care for your twists. I usually leave my hair twisted up for about a week before I even began to think about a twist out.
Caring for your hair while it is twisted up is just as important as caring for it while it is in any other style. You must retain moisture. Here are a few tips to remember when wearing twist and also my regimen for keeping them fresh.
- Always remember to moisturize and seal. I already have a post about exactly how this works and I will post it at the end. You constantly have to use a moisturizer and an oil or water in a spray bottle to keep your twists moisturized. Use a cream/water based moisturizer and your favorite oil to seal in the moisture. You want to really focus on the ends of your hair.
- Don't forget to keep your hair in place at night. This means either a satin scarf or bonnet. I recommend a scarf because you can lay your twist flat at night to eliminate frizz.
- Avoid using thick and heavy products on your scalp. If you are like me and wear your twists for a week or more, you do not want any scalp build up. This will cause you to want to wash your hair before you'd planned. If your are having scalp issues, try a little tea tree oil.
- Know your twist limit. By that I mean know how long your hair is able to be twisted or they could began to loc. To be sure I would not leave them in for longer than a month,but I've heard of hair locing before then so just keep an eye on them.
My twist maintenance regimen
- The next morning I spray my hair with Bee Mine Juicy Moisturizing Daily Spritz and then I apply a serum. I use Amika Hair Serum to tame frizz from the humidity and to keep my hair shiny.
Simple enough :)
S/N: Don't forget to enter the Transitioner's Kit giveaway(here