I discovered African Black Soap (ABS) sometime last year when I was introduced to Shea Moisture's African Black Soap line. I loved the way it smells and it also has some wonderful benefits that many people may not know.
It is made from a combination of all natural ingredients in Africa, including plantain skin, palm leaves,cocoa, Shea butter, coconut oil,vitamins and other oils and butters. Color can vary. Most of the time it is black it can also be brown.
The benefits of ABS:
- As a shampoo it gently cleanses the scalp without sulfates. It treats dandruff
- As a facial cleanser it prevents blemishes and acne. Overtime it can also get rid of scars and aging lines
- Since it is made of oils and butters, it is great for removing makeup
- It is also good for those who may have eczema or psoriasis
Things to remember:
- You can buy products that contain ABS or an actual bar of ABS at most health food stores or a Whole Foods Market.
- ABS is not specifically for those of African descent. Anyone of any race or ethnicity can use ABS. Some people think that just because it has the word "African" that it is designated for one type of culture.
- ABS can also be used as a body cleanser.
- After first use, store the soap in a plastic bag or closed container to preserve it
I wash my face using the bar soap below and I wash my hair with the Shea Moisture line above.